Lissencephaly 2: RELN Gene Deletion/Duplication
Test Code: 7718
Turnaround time: 3 weeks
Lissencephaly refers to a “smooth brain” with absent gyri or abnormally wide gyri. This is due to impairment in neuronal migration which leads to a thickened cerebral cortex. Mutations in the RELN gene (7q22) cause an autosomal recessive form of lissencephaly that is associated with severe abnormalities of the hippocampus, brainstem, and cerebellum. Additionally, individuals with mutations in the RELN gene can have abnormal neuromuscular connectivity, congenital lymphedema, seizures, and developmental delays.
For patients with suspected Lissencephaly 2, sequence analysis is recommended as the first step in mutation identification. For patients in whom mutations are not identified by full gene sequencing, deletion/duplication analysis is appropriate.
• Hong et al. (2000). Nature Genetics, 26:93-96.
• OMIM #257320: Lissencephaly 2
• OMIM #600514: RELN gene
This test is indicated for:
- Confirmation of a clinical diagnosis of lissencephaly 2 in an individual in whom sequence analysis was negative.
- Carrier testing in adults with a family history of lissencephaly 2 in whom sequence analysis was negative.
DNA isolated from peripheral blood is hybridized to a CGH array to detect deletions and duplications. The targeted CGH array has overlapping probes which cover the entire genomic region.
Please note that a “backbone” of probes across the entire genome are included on the array for analytical and quality control purposes. Rarely, off- target copy number variants causative of disease may be identified that may or may not be related to the patient’s phenotype. Only known pathogenic off-target copy number variants will be reported. Off-target copy number variants of unknown clinical significance will not be reported.
Detection is limited to duplications and deletions. The CGH array will not detect point or intronic mutations. Results of molecular analysis must be interpreted in the context of the patient’s clinical and/or biochemical phenotype.
Submit only 1 of the following specimen types
* Preferred specimen type: Whole Blood
Type: Whole Blood
In EDTA (purple top) or ACD (yellow top) tube: Infants (2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment. Ship sample within 5 days of collection at room temperature with overnight delivery.
OrageneTM Saliva Collection kit (available through CEN4GEN) used according to manufacturer instructions.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Store sample at room temperature. Ship sample within 5 days of collection at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Sequence analysis is required before deletion/duplication analysis by targeted CGH array. If sequencing is performed by another third party provider, please submit a copy of the sequencing report with the test requisition.
- Sequence analysis of the RELN gene is available and is required before deletion/duplication analysis.
- Sequencing and deletion/duplication analysis of the DCX and PAFAH1B1 genes are available.
- Custom diagnostic mutation analysis (test code: 6875) is available to family members if mutations are identified by targeted mutation testing or sequencing analysis.